Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Going from a "process" to "pieces" of design thinking

Now that it has been just over a year using the design thinking process one major stumbling block has been that students see the "process" as something that you have to go through step by step. However there are many times where it may not work. While working with a group of students on a design challenge who were stuck I noticed they were stuck because they were trying to go through every part of the "process" again. That is where I realized that I need to change the language of Design thinking in my classroom from a process to a puzzle where you can move pieces around and use what you need to complete the task.

Now I really need to find out how to change the mindset of the students in the class from a process to a puzzle with pieces.  My first FAIL was to just simply change the language I was using. I explained to the students that Design Thinking is not a process we go through step by step but more like a puzzle where I can start where I need to. Like I said... this was a FAIL (First Attempt In Learning) and that was ok. Students still did not get the concept.

So attempt number two will be a puzzle activity.  I am going to create a puzzle for each team where each puzzle piece has a part of the design process (with multiples of each one). Each team set is different but in the end the image they all make in the end is:


I am hoping that this will help the students see that no matter what piece you need and when you place that piece into the work, you can get to the same final product. Although this has been frustrating I have really learned the value of the design thinking puzzle myself going through the difference pieces at different times along with gaining the GRIT to not give up and allow the students to continue to see this as a process.

No comments:

Post a Comment