Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Attempt #2...

So the first challenge was fun and the kids REALLY enjoyed it. I on the other hand saw a lot of areas where I needed to improve. I was not as organized nor did I get the results I was looking for from the kids. So time to go through the design thinking process myself. I first started with problem finding. I had to look and reflect on the previous challenge to see where the process can be improved and find the problem(s). Here is what I came up with:

1. The students needed to take more time finding a problem which requires research
2. The ideate stage was not done well enough and not a lot of ideas were generated
3. More accountability is needed for the students to make sure the science is being connected properly.

I then had to empathize with putting myself in their shoes (making sure it was engaging and fun) and also in the shoes of other teachers trying this. Here was what I came up with after interviewing students:

1. They needed more guidance on finding problems but loved using the computer to help them
2. They liked a hands on way to ideate maybe even an electronic way to ideate
3. Needed specific questions to answer in their presentation and a personal option not just a group option for explaining what they learned.

I then ideated and came up with the following ways to help solve the problems...

1. I created a livebinder to help the students though the process (see the link to help you understand my use)
2. I would use scraps of paper, tape, and cardboard to create team ideation boards (see image below)
3. I would have students create digital portfolios to document what they learned and how they applied the science to their design.

Overall the students seemed to do better with this challenge. They felt comfortable with the process. I did not see the creativity I was hoping for. The explanations of the science was also still very weak. I really need to find a way to ensure students are taking it seriously and putting creativity and effort into the process.

Images and Videos:

Ideation Board:
Bobsled Example


No comments:

Post a Comment