Friday, January 24, 2014

Having a sub during a challenge

As all teachers know having a "day off" is not what it sounds like. For many teachers it is easier to be in the classroom then it is to be out because you know your routines, the students know your expectations, and there is no one that you have to explain what you need them to do (and you hope the have the skills to do). Design thinking is no exception.

During my last design challenge I had to be a district training. I spend the few days before having the students start their prototype. I had to make an important decision, to allow the students and the sub to keep prototyping, or to have the students stop their progress and work on something different. Here were the pros and cons that I came up with for each option:


Allowing the students to continue their prototype construction

Pros:   The students were in a really great flow of ideas
           The time was needed no matter what and allowing them to work would not push my schedule
Cons:  The students were using hot melt glue guns and box cutters which meant potential injuries
           The sub is not familiar with the design process and I am not sure if the students will work as needed

Giving the students an alternative work

Pros:   It is easy to have a sub have them work on math problems, research, or notes
Cons:  Students will interrupt the flow of progress
           The assigned work has little meaning if not in context and comes out of the blue

After looking at all options I decided to give my students and the sub a chance to complete the prototypes. To ensure that students were safe I went over the safety rules for glue guns and box cutters with all students the day before. I made sure that they understood my expectations and that any violation in any class by any student would result in disqualification and the end of the challenge. I also made sure to give my sub the same rules and regulations.

After sitting through the meeting fearful of what I would find when I got back, I was pleased to see that there were no injured from the glue guns and box cutters. ONE student cut them-self with a pair of children safety scissors. Overall it was a success and I learned that taking the time to set expectations with both the students and the sub meant that the students could be successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment